We are excited to announce the Ontario Health Study’s second phase – our Blood Collection Program. When information you provided on your health questionnaire is studied in combination with your blood sample, it will help researchers better understand the factors that influence health and quality of life. Blood samples make it possible for health researchers to look at DNA and other parts of blood to answer questions about hormones, nutrients, vitamins, chemicals, and genetic factors. Ultimately, all of the samples that are collected may help to improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
Please note that the information collected by the Ontario Health Study is for research purposes only. The Study’s assessments are not diagnostic and does not replace a visit to your doctor or healthcare professional.
Providing a blood sample is entirely voluntary. You can continue to participate in the Ontario Health Study even if you choose not to provide a blood sample.
Is everyone able to provide a sample?
Initially our Blood Collection Program will be by invitation only, however you may be asked by the OHS to indicate your interest in taking part in the Blood Collection Program the next time you log into your OHS personalized home page. This option is available to participants who have completed the initial questionnaire. If this feature is available to you, the “Express Interest” button will be located on the right-hand side of your personalized home page the next time you log in. This feature will allow you to indicate your interest in providing a blood sample at a local LifeLabs Patient Service Centre location. The image below shows the location of the “Express Interest” button.
The OHS is currently running two initiatives, the Blood Collection Program, and the Toronto Assessment Centre. At this time, you may indicate your interest in both initiatives, however you will only be invited to take part in one program. When you access this feature on your home page, you will be informed that you will be contacted by the OHS regarding the program you have indicated interest in. At the moment, we are inviting participants to take part in stages based on age and other demographic factors. To express your interest in taking part in the Blood Collection Program/visiting the Toronto Assessment Centre, please log into your OHS personalized home page by clicking here. If you are experiencing difficulties accessing the “Express Your Interest” feature or you have questions regarding this option please send all enquiries to email@example.com.
What’s involved in providing a sample?
- Initially our Blood Collection Program will be by invitation only. If you decide to provide a blood sample to the OHS, you will be asked to complete a short online screening questionnaire and a consent form.
- Once you have completed these steps, you can provide a blood sample by taking your requisition form to a local LifeLabs® Medical Laboratory Services location.
- Five tubes (approximately 39 mL or 2.6 tablespoons) of blood will be collected at the visit.
- The collection appointment will likely take 10-20 minutes and may be scheduled for a time that is convenient for you.
- To learn more about LifeLabs® Medical Laboratory Services, click on the following link: http://www.lifelabs.com/Lifelabs_ON/.
- To find a LifeLabs® Patient Services Centre near you, click on the following link: http://www.lifelabs.com/Lifelabs_ON/locations/default.aspx.
- The online portion of the Blood Collection Program, including the questionnaire, consent, and requisition form is available in French. However, currently LifeLabs services both in person and online are only available in English.